The 2nd Earl of Rosse from Birr Castle had a keen interest in architecture and redesigned the layout of the town in accordance with the principles of classical architecture. Oxmantown Mall was developed from 1810. Following the construction of a new gate house to the castle, a new road was opened from the gate house to Cumberland Street. A walkway enclosed by a 3ft wall was used by the town’s gentry as a promenade. These houses were built between 1810 and 1830 and they housed the professional classes of the town.