In 1817 Sir Lawrence Parsons set about extending the town to the east. Initially four terraced houses were built to the west of John’s Hall. These were two storey over basement houses with a grass front enclosed within iron railings.
Further developments took place in the 1860’s with the building of Regency houses towards Crompton’s Row. It has been described as a crescent shaped green surrounded by Georgian residences.
An unusual building to be seen here is Saint John’s Hall. This building was erected in memory of John Clere Parsons, son of the 2nd Earl of Rosse, who died in 1828. It was built as a miniature Greek ionic temple and provide a focal point along the axis of two flanking rows of terraced houses.