Birr is well known for its Georgian streetscape, mighty telescope and castle, however it might be a surprise to learn of the number of burial grounds to be found in and around the town. A total of nine burial grounds can be found within a short distance of the town. This graveyard contains the ruins of old parish church of Birr, which was used up until 1816, when it was replaced by the new St Brendan’s church which was built on Oxamantown Mall. The burial ground which surrounds the church ruins has been used for centuries by the town’s people of Birr. It was in the early to mid 19th century when the burial ground began to become over crowded and a solution had to be found.